Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Yesterday I was on the phone with my boss talking about her child and things that related. (I am a nanny). We were on the phone for a long time. I was suppose to leave to pick her child from up from school shortly but had some things I wanted to do before I left to get her. I said to my boss (child’s mom). Well I will see you tonight. Need to get off the phone and make a call before I need to pick up Lynn. But she kept on talking. I could not get her off the phone. I so much wanted to just hang up but this is my job and I don’t want to jeapordize it. But honestly, I probably would not have hung up on anyone that I knew. I got angry inside and felt turmoil inside of me. So how can I be loving and set boundaries with people who just talk and talk and talk and I can’t make it stop?

Greg Baer

Work is different than our life, so I’ll keep the answer about work. Did you want to make a call before getting the child or did you need to make a call? If you need to make a call, explaining to people the consequences of their choices is usually sufficient. “I’m happy to continue talking to you, but doing so means I’ll be late to pick up Lynn.” Then the mother gets to choose, and you don’t feel guilty.

In your personal life, you just have to learn to say no. Either you choose to let other people’s talking control you or you take care of your needs and allow them to be upset if that’s what they choose.

Greg Baer

That makes sense. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.