Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Currently, I’m a stockbroker. I say “currently” because my days are numbered; a career change is on the horizon. In any case, I still need to endure another 6-8 weeks with this employer. As with any job, there are metrics to be met. My frustration lies in the fact that there is one metric (sales leads) that trumps all metrics. If I don’t meet that one metric, I’m a loathsome pariah. I am barred from opportunities that are suited to my strengths. My expertise are passed over and those meeting the prized metric are given those opportunities instead.

So peers who lack the industry know-how and experience are getting positions within teaching/training roles because they are better at saying “Do you want fries with that?” From my point-of-view (right or wrong) it’s like finding the shiniest square peg to fill a round hole.

Yeah, I’m whining. I need to play by the rules and not kick against them. Wanting to just scream “it’s not fair!”

Looking for some love as I face these next few weeks. I’m running out of motivation to show up to work since I know my end is near.

Greg Baer

Hi Erin. First off, I’d suggest that if you haven’t read Real Love in the Workplace, that you make it a priority. Sales is not a job for every person. That said, it’s pretty obvious that you don’t feel loved and are railing against the culture that bases all rewards on certain metrics. Are talented people being wasted? Probably. On pages 23-25 of the Workplace book, Greg gives an example of the many ways Real Love can look in the workplace. Right now, that isn’t what is happening in your company.

Also consider the concept of self-deception. Greg says “Self-deception is the root of virtually all the troubles we repeatedly experience personally and in the workplace. It’s not the problems we accept responsibility for that cause us the greatest difficulty. Our greatest predicaments are created when we blame other people for problems that are really caused by our own choices . . . .When we blame other [people, cultures, rules] for our anger, for example, we become the real problem.”

Many things in the world aren’t fair, Erin. As you spend whatever time you have remaining, it might be helpful to look at what gets in your way as far as meeting “metrics” and how you might have done better/differently (get rid of any self-deception). You are loved by me and many others in the Real Love community. That is a good place to share what you learn and see. Your value has nothing to do with sales goals. Let that idea be at the forefront of your thoughts rather than “It’s not fair.”
    Love & hugs!

Greg Baer

Hi Erin,

I feel your pain totally!! I was recently let go from a place where I gave my ALL and then some to try to create a healthy productive workplace. Unfortunately, I was surrounded by lazy troublemakers who were highly favored by the administration. Even though management knew of my attitude and work ethic, I was still fired for getting upset at the lazy and harmful actions of the ‘clique’.

Bottom line is: That place you’re working at doesn’t deserve your talent. Also, when these things happen, it means that a door is closing in your life. The good news is that every time a door closes, another one opens, and if you follow your heart and gut instinct (and some divine guidance), you’ll choose wisely, and ultimately be pleased with the outcome.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.