Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Recently, I asked my boss if the company would buy me a tray for my computer keyboard that fits under my desk. He said,”Yes”. I asked the person that does the ordering about it and at first she said, “I never heard of such a thing.” I asked her for the office supply catalog, but was not given it. I left her office for a couple of minutes and go back to find her ordering the tray without asking me for my input-nothing. I feel that if the boss approves for me to get something that is for me, to make my desk more ergonomic, then I should get to have some say in what is ordered, such as the style, size, etc. But this person ordered her choice without even telling me she was doing it, which I felt like she was doing it behind my back.
    Is this a control issue? I am trying to improve my work station. I know I am doing event, judgement, feeling, result.

Greg Baer

Hi Lorrie. I sent your question to Greg and this was his reply.

**When you want something, you have to take steps to ensure that you get what you want. So the question is, what could YOU have done differently?

1. You could have asked the boss if you could choose the tray that would suit your needs.

2. You could have started right off by presenting to the procurement person the model number you would prefer.

No blaming, just saying that if we want something, we have some responsibility in guiding the process. **

As Greg points out, when we fail to make clear and concise requests, events can go in a different direction other than the one we want. He has given you two possible different approaches. Can you see any others?

Love,
    Karen

Greg Baer

Hi Lorrie. I had another thought this morning. I looked for “requests” and “clear requests” in the Master Index. There were LOTS of places to look if you have all of the books. However, even if you don’t have every book to look up answers, there are two references to the first Real Love book (the truth about finding unconditional love and fulfilling relationships) which most of us have, RL61-2 and RL177-84. Also, there are two references to blogs, B12Mar12 and BllJune14. The blogs are listed by day, month, year, so March 12, 2012 and June 11, 2014.

And yes, everything is always related to Event, Judgment, Feeling, Reaction since our lives are full of events.

Love,
    Karen

Lynette
    Participant

Hi Lorrie, I used to work in State government where the procurement person guarded the catalogue as if the cost were coming out of her pocket, lol. When your item arrives and if it doesn’t work, it CAN be returned. If it’s just the wrong color, well, pick and choose your battles. At some point, you might want to talk to your officer and ask what the procedure is for ordering, if you’re not aware of it. Are orders placed monthly? Where is the catalogue kept? Does a requisition form need to be filled out? I found that ordering via an email with cc to my boss including item number and page provided a paper trail and kept everyone informed. Building a relationship with the officer went a long way in my ability to order supplies as well. Good luck. It’s about being responsible and loving.

Greg Baer

You hit the nail on the head when you said, “she acts as if it is coming out of her own pocket” and “guarding” the catalog. I appreciate the responses I got.
    Lorrie

Greg Baer

I will look up the references you gave me.

Greg Baer

Hi Lorrie,
    What is your understanding of why she “acts as if it is coming out of her own pocket” and “guarding” the catalog?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.